bay leaves

Did you ever hear that thing about bay leaves being poisonous if you eat the whole thing?

Mountain laurel leaves are poisonous to certain livestock and are not sold anywhere as a spice (cousin species) (britannica). This has led to the mistaken belief that bay leaves should be removed from food after cooking because they might poison humans. Bay leaves are safe to eat, however, a person may accidentally swallow a leaf, and the leaves remain stiff even after several hours of cooking. This sometimes causes cutting of the throat and should be avoided.

Yeah, I figured they wouldn’t sell a poisonous leaf as an herb.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *