A door-to-door guy from APX/Honeywell alarms came out and tried to sell us on free alarm installation. I made it clear up front that they probably couldn’t beat the $12 that NextAlarm charges. I really wanted to know what their final monthly monitoring service costs, but he was very evasive. Then he said $11. Sounded good! We went through his hour-long spiel and signup and then finally, at the end, he starts talking about $11 a WEEK. WAITAMINUTE! Game over. He also used all the car salesman tactics.
- “I’m not trying to sell anything. I’m giving it away. (surprise $100 activation fee at the end of the spiel)
- “Could we go somewhere where we can sit down?”
- Giving you something to hold
- Getting you to say “yes” to things. “Do you think that’s something that would benefit you?
- “I need to call my manager.”
- The fine print in the contract says you’ll show their advertisement (with a light!) for 60 months.